Taking care of you and having a ‘full cup’ is foundational to everything else in life.
Taking care of you and having a ‘full cup’ is foundational to everything else in life: your happiness, your relationships, your business, all of it. You can’t effectively build up these areas coming from being depleted, stressed or otherwise taken out.
Life is full of ups and downs, and when we experience the downs, our self-care (which in general isn’t optimum anyway as we’re so busy taking care of everyone else) tends to take a nosedive. I see this in my own life, time and time again. If I haven’t slept well a few nights in a row, for example, I have (much) less patience and presence for my kids. I’m less likely to reach out and connect with others and I’ll definitely reach for the chocolate and caffeine instead of healthy snacks. These actions just keep adding to my experience of feeling exhausted and crappy – funny that!
Whether it’s a global pandemic, which we’re experiencing now, or another taxing experience such as the loss of a loved one, a failing business or negative criticism we’ve received, our body reacts the same. We go into fight, flight or freeze and usually experience some form of fear, anxiety, stress or other negative emotion that knocks us off-center. In these times it’s easy to see all the reasons why we shouldn’t bother meditating, exercising or peeling ourselves off of our potato chip crumb-filled couch!
I have it that because you’re here, reading this, you are committed to taking care of you and looking for practices to support you in keeping your cup full. I know you have a lot to give, and it’s so important that you are taken care of so you can continue to show up with your big heart.
No matter where you find yourself on the spectrum of self-care, from non-existent to totally filled up, here are some strategies to step it up a level. You do deserve the best self-care, after all!
No matter where you find yourself on the spectrum of self-care, from non-existent to totally filled up, here are some strategies to step it up a level.
- Let if flow. Acknowledge any emotions or feelings that are coming up for you. What we resist, persists and keeps us stuck. When we allow emotions or feelings they generally dissipate on their own. Be kind and compassionate with yourself.
- Reach out. As humans, we’re hardwired for connection. Be in touch with family or friends to laugh, share, commiserate and just be you. A counselor or coach could be a another form of connection to consider, especially if your current circle doesn’t ‘fill you up’.
- Focus on the long term. What’s your bigger aim/goal/intention? Have a way to remind yourself of your bigger dream and practice taking small steps daily. Focusing on the big picture tends to let things that get in the way seem smaller and more manageable.
- Choose positive influences. We are inundated by news, books, media, videos and information everywhere. Ensure you’re consuming influences that lift you up, that inspire you, that ignite the fire in you. Think podcasts, books, music, youtube videos and even your source for news.
- Take impeccable care of you. Make a list of 5 – 10 things that if you were your top priority, you would be doing on a daily basis to ensure your ‘cup was full’. Maybe it’s meditating, taking your vitamins, a hot bath, walk in the woods, eating 5 servings of veggies…or something else. Create your list of 5 or 10 and post it where you will see it every day. Practice ticking these items off daily – not from a place of “I have to” but from a place of “I am worth it”.
- Look for the opportunity or possibility. If you see problems, you will just have problems. If you shift your thinking to instead look for what the possibility or opportunity is, you will have that instead, which raises your mindset to a more positive place and creates resourcefulness.
- Take baby steps. If it feels too big, or too hard, just practice starting small. What CAN you do NOW? A 5 minute daily walk can turn into a 10k marathon…you don’t need to start at the 10k mark.
Overall, practice treating yourself as you would your best friend, your child or the person you respect most in this world.
Be well ♥